Tomi A. Pasanen
Lecturer in Computer Science
Doctor of Computer Science (1999) University of Turku, Finland
Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence, Software Engineering and Programming
My research has included so far areas like digital games, pedagogy, bioinformatics and algorithmics. Next, I would like to enter to Data Science area where I have not done research; partial overlapping has happened in my teaching because data mining, machine learning and statistical methods are already well-established research areas.
- Analyzing and Modeling No-limit Texas Holdem Poker (with Sarkkinen) poster in the 11th Scandinavian Conference on Artificial Intelligence (SCAI 2011)
- Framework for evaluating believability of non-player characters in games (with Hinkkanen & Kurhila) in the pro- ceedings of the 18th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI 2008) — Artificial Intelligence in Games (AIG ’08) , 2008, pp. 40-44
- Towards a Framework for Designing and Analyzing CS Learning Environments (with Apiola, Tedre & Lattu) in proceedings of 42th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education FIE 2012 Conference (IEEE FIE), Seattle, WA, United States, October 2012, pp. 600- 605
- Creativity-Supporting Learning Environment (with Apiola & Lattu) ACM Transactions on Computing Education 12 (3) (2012) Article No.: 11, 25 pages
- Four Years of IT Program Development in Tanzania (with Tedre, McIntyre, Oroma, Ngumbuke, & Sutinen) in proceedings of IST-Africa 2012 Conference, pp. 9-11
- Chapter 11: Gene regulatory networks (with Vihinen), DNA Microarray Data Analysis, CSC Scientific Computing Ltd. Second edition, 2005
- Random Binary Search Tree with Equal Elements, Theoretical Computer Science 411 (2010) 3867-387
- A Randomized In-Place Algorithm for Positioning the kth Element in a Multiset (Katajainen), Algorithm Theory — SWAT 2002, Volume 2368 of the series Lecture Notes in Computer Science pp 408-417
- Asymptotically efficient in-place merging (with Geffert and Katajainen) Theoretical Computer Science 237 (2000) 159-181
I started to study computer science 1986 and finished studies with Ph.D. degree 1999. I was interested in classical computer science where the research is dealing with running times and space requirements. After that I have been mainly working as lecturer giving a large number of different courses in Finland and abroad like Spain, Tanzania, South Africa and Vietnam. So I am capable of adapting and adjusting my operation with respect to current culture by using the best parts of the culture to manage and to progress my duties.
Sailing and sport in general