Dr Susan Busby
Lecturer in Business and Management
Doctorate of Business Administration Swiss Management Center University, Switzerland
(AACSB, ACBSP & CHEA accredited). Achieved average grade 93%
Doctorate thesis titled “The determinants of Corporate Social Responsibility and its strategic boundaries within the luxury hotel industry in Dubai”
Master of Arts, Hospitality Management, Birmingham University, England, U.K.
Master of Arts completed with distinction 1 year early/Thesis on Innovation.
Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration, Thames Valley University, England, U.K.
Certificate in Education CNAA, Greenwich University, London, England, U.K.
Teachers Certificate 730, City & Guilds, Lewisham College, London, England, U.K.
HND in Hospitality Management, BTEC Blackpool & the Fylde College, England, U.K.
HND included year 2 of the course working in the Hospitality industry in Bern, Switzerland
Mauritius branch campus (commenced September 2016)
Lecturer in business and management:
- Preparing and delivering lectures, tutorials and seminars, working in collaboration with the academic team at Aberystwyth University in Wales and the Mauritius academic team
- Facilitating students participation, engagement and attendance in specific subjects
- Promoting AUM and helping to recruit new students, interviewing prospective students
TEACHING AREAS AT ABERYSTWYTH UNIVERSITY
MSc International Business, Research methods
BSc (Hons) Business Management, Business management with law, Introduction to management
BSc (Hons) Business Management, Marketing management
BSc (Hons) Business Management, Business ethics and corporate governance
BSc (Hons) Business Management, Business Environment
Applied Research: Contemporary management issues and Corporate Social Responsibility:
2016: January to June, supervised 40 undergraduate research projects on contemporary business challenges in the Middle East (UAE).
2015: Supervised 40 student projects on telecommuting with Human Resource Directorate of Sharjah Government, United Arab Emirates (UAE). Mentored 25 students on contemporary research for the Economics Directorate of Sharjah Government (UAE)
Coordinated 200 applied research projects (team of 5 academics and 200 students).
2014: Supervised 18 students on contemporary research projects for the Economics Directorate of Sharjah Government relating to a range of business management topics (UAE).
Facilitated 13 students on applied research questions in partnership with the Human Resource Directorate of Sharjah Government, focusing on Tourism (UAE luxury hotels) and strategies used to adopt and retain Emirati citizens.
Supervised 27 students for the Pearl competition, showcasing how industry adopts accountable and transparent corporate governance regulations.
Facilitated Corporate Social Responsibility in Action research (team of 3 students) relating to the needs of female Emirati citizens (Feb-June 2013).
Conferences and personal development
- 2016: Completed Leadership training hosted by Rotary Club, American Embassy and Aberystwyth University Mauritius branch campus
Chair for annual business conference on social entrepreneurship (HCT, UAE)
- 2015: Presented paper at Human Resource conference, University of Sharjah for Sharjah Government, UAE
- 2014: Delegate at UAE Economic Forum in Abu Dhabi, disseminated contents of the forum with senior college management and the faculty of business.
- 2013: Presented paper at the Sharjah conference (American University) on “The criticality of the private sector embracing Emiratisation” (policy facilitating employment for UAE nationals).
- Participant in the Human Resource Summit at the Dubai World Trade Centre, UAE
- 2012: Delegate at the global entrepreneurship summit at Dubai World Trade Centre
- 2012: Participated in the 10th conference on Corporate Social Responsibility in Dubai
20 years of academic experience in international Business, Hospitality & Tourism Management.
I appreciate the criticality of higher education which provides students with a holistic education and helps students gain valuable knowledge and become responsible global citizens.
CAREER: PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
2009- 2016 United Arab Emirates:
Higher Education lecturer for federal government university, system wide leader for degree business programs, degree course developer (curriculum design) and campus course coordinator.
Previous teaching areas: Contemporary Issues in Business, Management & Leadership, Organizational Behavior, Business Ethics & Corporate Governance, Human Resource Management & Entrepreneurship.
Extra administration responsibilities:
System wide coordinator for Business ethics & Corporate Governance (module with1000 students and 25 lecturers) ensured academic consistency across 17 campuses.
Academic coordinator for the business department of Sharjah Men’s campus, responsibility for 35 bachelor degree faculty and 500 degree students
Curriculum development designed new system wide bachelor degree modules for Human Resources, Business Ethics courses and marketing management
Course team leader for Corporate Social Responsibility/Corporate Governance & Business Ethics & Human Resource Management
Mentor for academic faculty (international and local citizens)
Extra- curricular activities
- Hosted Sharjah business conferences/ seminars/exhibitions with international audiences & distinguished speakers (annual business conferences from 2009-2016)
- Co-coordinated humanitarian expedition to China for bachelor students with Habitat for Humanity and PepsiCo Middle East (built houses for those in need 2011)
- 2011- 2016 provided professional development training for faculty on international/ humanitarian trips and other training by disseminating conference experience
2003 to 2009: Granada, Spain
Real Estate Director (portfolio of 300 sales & 50 rental properties).
2001 to 2003: Birmingham University College, United Kingdom
Higher Education Lecturer
Course Manager for BA (Hons) Hospitality Tourism Management (280 students & 25 teachers).
Delivered lectures to undergraduate students in Marketing, International Marketing, Innovation & Operations management. Course Management involved academic leadership, validation with moderators & teaching team, interviewing students & curriculum planning. Supervision of bachelor degree research students (dissertations) and collaboration with industry partners to complete live projects.
Example of past research: Presented Emerald paper on collaborative live projects (2003) with Dr. Thomas titled “Do industry collaborative projects enhance students’ learning”? (Education + Training, Vol. 45 Iss: 4, pp.226 – 235, 2003) DOI:10.1108/00400910310478157
Management Consultancy/and supervision of live industry projects in hospitality and tourism management including British Waterways, Jewelry Quarter, Witley Court (English Heritage).
1990 to 2001: Westminster College, London, England, U.K.
Academic coordinator (120 students & 20 lecturers).
Higher education lecturer in sales & marketing, restaurant operations & management.
1988- 1990: London College of Tourism, London, U.K.
Lecturer in Hospitality Management,
Involved regular recruitment trips to Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Sweden and Greece
- Life member of the Institute of Hospitality (since 1991)
- Full member of the Confederation of Tourism, Hospitality and Catering Management (since 1992).
- Swimming, cycling, running and walking, completed the London Marathon, UK Zermatt half marathon, Switzerland and Camino de Santiago, 660 km, from Madrid Spain.
- Participation in charity events, such as Habitat for Humanity and sponsored sporting events/competitions, e.g. Terry Fox Run (Dubai) and Alpujarras half marathon (Spain).