Dr Susan Busby
Academic Campus Director and Lecturer in Business and Management
Doctorate of Business Administration, Swiss Management Center University, Switzerland
(AACSB, ACBSP & CHEA accredited). Achieved average grade 93%
Doctorate thesis titled “The determinants of Corporate Social Responsibility and its strategic boundaries within the luxury hotel industry in Dubai”
Master of Arts, Hospitality Management, Birmingham University, England, U.K.
Master of Arts completed with distinction 1 year early/Thesis on Innovation.
Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration, Thames Valley University, England, U.K.
Certificate in Education CNAA, Greenwich University, London, England, U.K.
Teachers Certificate 730, City & Guilds, Lewisham College, London, England, U.K.
Academic Campus Director at Aberstwyth University Mauritius
- Member of the Aberstwyth University Academic Management Committee
- Academic leadership, to develop excellence in teaching and scholarship
Theme lead for Business School at Aberstwyth University Mauritius
- Coordination of scheme leads to further develop Business School objectives
Scheme Lead for Business Management at Aberstwyth University Mauritius
- Coordination, organization and delivery of the Business Management scheme
Lecturer in Business and Management:
- Preparing and delivering lectures, tutorials, seminars and taster sessions: Working in collaboration with the teams at Aberystwyth University and the Mauritius campus
- Facilitating students participation, engagement and attendance in specific subjects
- Promoting AUM, helping to recruit new students & interviewing prospective students
- Moderating and marking of assignments and exams and co-creation of end of year exams
MSc International Business
Modules: Research methods, Project Management and Globalization
BSc (Hons) Business Management, Business management with law, Business Finance and Accounts and Finance students
1st year Modules: Introduction to management.
2nd year modules: Marketing management, Business ethics and corporate governance, Management research methods and Operations and innovations management.
3rd year modules: Contemporary issues in management, Business leadership and corporate responsibilities and Individual student research projects.
Applied Research: Contemporary management issues and Corporate Social Responsibility:
2016: Supervised 40 undergraduate research projects on contemporary business challenges in the United Arab Emirates.
2015: Supervised 40 student projects on telecommuting with Human Resource Directorate of Sharjah Government, United Arab Emirates.
Mentored 25 students on contemporary research for the Economics Directorate of Sharjah Government, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Facilitated 200 applied research projects (team of 5 academics and 200 students).
2014: Supervised 18 students on contemporary research projects for the Economics Directorate of Sharjah Government relating to a range of business management topics (UAE).
Facilitated 13 students on applied research questions in partnership with the Human Resource Directorate of Sharjah Government, focusing on Tourism (UAE luxury hotels) and strategies used to adopt and retain Emirati citizens.
2013: Supervised 27 students for the Pearl competition, showcasing how industry adopts accountable and transparent corporate governance regulations.
Facilitated Corporate Social Responsibility in Action research relating to the needs of female Emirati citizens.
Conferences and Workshops (in last five years)
- 2017: Nominated for Innovative teaching award at Aberystwyth University
- 2017: Delegate at the 2 day conference on the need to engage the worlds of art, nature and science at the State House in Mauritius
- 2017: Delegate at the debate on Climate Change at the State House in Mauritius
- 2017 Participated in ICAEW workshop on contemporary management challenges
- 2016: Chair at conference on elimination of violence, Aberystwyth University Mauritius
- 2016: Delivered research seminar to all faculty on embracing cultural diversity at Aberystwyth University Mauritius
- 2016: Completed Leadership training hosted by Rotary Club, American Embassy and Aberystwyth University Mauritius branch campus
- 2015: Chair for annual business conference on social entrepreneurship (HCT, UAE)
- 2015: Presented paper at Human Resource conference, University of Sharjah for Sharjah Government, UAE
- 2014: Delegate at UAE Economic Forum in Abu Dhabi, disseminated contents of the forum with senior college management and the faculty of business.
- 2013: Presented paper at the Sharjah conference (American University) on “The criticality of the private sector embracing Emiratisation” (policy facilitating employment for UAE nationals).
- Participant in the Human Resource Summit at the Dubai World Trade Centre, UAE
- 2012: Delegate at the global entrepreneurship summit at Dubai World Trade Centre
- 2012: Participated in the 10th conference on Corporate Social Responsibility in Dubai
23 years of academic experience in international Business, Hospitality & Tourism Management.
International work has included working in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Spain, Zambia, United Arab Emirates, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Tanzania, Greece and Sweden.
- Life member of the Institute of Hospitality (since 1991)
- Full member of the Confederation of Tourism, Hospitality and Catering Management (since 1992).
Career: Previous Experience
United Arab Emirates:
Higher Education lecturer for federal government university, system wide leader for business degree programs, degree course developer (curriculum design) and campus course coordinator.
Previous teaching areas: Contemporary Issues in Business, Management & Leadership, Organizational Behavior, Business Ethics & Corporate Governance, Human Resource Management & Entrepreneurship.
Previous administration responsibilities:
System wide coordinator for Business ethics & Corporate Governance (1000 students and 25 lecturers), 17 campuses.
Academic coordinator for business department of men’s campus, responsibility for 35 bachelor degree faculty and 500 degree students
Curriculum development designed new system wide bachelor degree modules for Human Resources, Business Ethics courses and marketing management courses
Course team leader for Corporate Social Responsibility/Corporate Governance & Business Ethics & Human Resource Management
Mentor for academic faculty (international and local citizens)
Extra- curricular activities
- Hosted business conferences/ seminars/exhibitions with international audiences & distinguished speakers (annual business conferences from 2009-2016)
- Co-coordinated humanitarian expedition to China for bachelor students with Habitat for Humanity and PepsiCo Middle East (built houses for those in need 2011)
- Provided professional development training for faculty on international/ humanitarian trips and other training by disseminating conference experience
Real estate business in Granada, Spain with a portfolio of 300 sales & 50 rental properties.
Birmingham University College
Course Manager for BA (Hons) Hospitality Tourism Management (280 students & 25 teachers).
Delivered lectures to undergraduate students in Marketing, International Marketing, Innovation & Operations management. Course Management involved academic leadership, validation with moderators & teaching team, interviewing students & curriculum planning. Supervision of dissertations and collaboration with industry partners to complete live projects.
Management Consultancy/and supervision of live industry projects in hospitality and tourism management including British Waterways, Jewelry Quarter, Witley Court (English Heritage).
London, England, U.K.
Academic coordinator (120 students & 20 lecturers).
Higher education lecturer in sales & marketing, restaurant operations & management.
Lecturer in Hospitality Management,
Involved regular recruitment trips to Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Sweden and Greece
Food and Beverage manager, Casino Bern and 5 star Schweizerhof hotel both in Bern
- Swimming, cycling, running and walking, completed London Marathon, UK Zermatt half marathon (Switzerland) and Camino de Santiago (660 km walk from Madrid Spain to Santiago).
- Participation in charity events, such as Habitat for Humanity and sponsored sporting events/competitions, e.g. Terry Fox Run (Dubai) and Red Cross half marathon (Spain).