Dr Susan Busby
Academic Campus Director
Susan completed her Doctorate of Business Administration in Switzerland (AACSB, ACBSP & CHEA accredited). Her doctorate thesis was titled “The determinants of Corporate Social Responsibility and its strategic boundaries within the luxury hotel industry in Dubai”.
Her Master of Arts postgraduate degree in Hospitality Management was awarded by Birmingham University, England, U.K. This was achieved with distinction and the thesis focused on Innovation. In addition, her bachelor degree and Certificate in Education were obtained in England, U.K.
Academic Campus Director at Aberystwyth University Mauritius
- Member of the Aberystwyth University Academic Management Committee
- Chair of academic management and staff meetings
- Academic leadership, to sustain excellence and innovation in teaching and scholarship
- Facilitating teaching and assessments to encourage student engagement
- Coordinating scheme leads to support academic needs and embrace the student experience
- Representing Aberystwyth University Mauritius at academic and non- academic events.
Lecturer in Business and Management:
- Preparing and delivering lectures, tutorials, seminars and taster sessions: Working in collaboration with the teams at Aberystwyth University and the Mauritius campus
- Facilitating student’s participation, engagement and attendance in specific subjects
- Moderating and marking of assignments and exams and co-creation of end of year exams
MSc International Business
Modules: Research methods, Project Management and Globalization
BSc (Hons) Business Management, Business management with law, Business Finance and Accounts and Finance students
1st year Modules: Introduction to management.
2nd year modules: Marketing management, Business ethics and corporate governance, Management research methods and Operations and innovations management.
3rd year modules: Contemporary issues in management, Business leadership and corporate responsibilities and Individual student research projects.
Contemporary management issues and Corporate Social Responsibility:
Supervised 40 undergraduate research projects on contemporary business challenges in the United Arab Emirates.
Supervised 40 student projects on telecommuting with Human Resource Directorate of Sharjah Government, United Arab Emirates.
Mentored 25 students on contemporary research for the Economics Directorate of Sharjah Government, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Facilitated 200 applied research projects (team of 5 academics and 200 students).
Conferences and Workshops
- 2017: Shortlisted for Innovative teaching award at Aberystwyth University
- 2017: Delegate at the 2- day conference on the need to engage the worlds of art, nature and science at the State House in Mauritius
- 2017: Delegate at the debate on Climate Change at the State House in Mauritius
- 2017 Participated in ICAEW workshop on contemporary management challenges
- 2016: Chair at conference on elimination of violence, Aberystwyth University Mauritius
- 2016: Delivered research seminar to all faculty on embracing cultural diversity at Aberystwyth University Mauritius
- 2016: Completed Leadership training hosted by Rotary Club, American Embassy and Aberystwyth University Mauritius branch campus
- 2015: Chair for annual business conference on social entrepreneurship (HCT, UAE)
- 2015: Presented paper at Human Resource conference, University of Sharjah for Sharjah Government, UAE
- 2014: Delegate at UAE Economic Forum in Abu Dhabi, disseminated contents of the forum with senior college management and the faculty of business.
- 2013: Presented paper at the Sharjah conference (American University) on “The criticality of the private sector embracing Emiratisation” (policy facilitating employment for UAE nationals).
25 years of academic experience in International Business management and Hospitality & Tourism Management.
International work has included working in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Spain, Zambia, United Arab Emirates, Zimbabwe, Mauritius, Tanzania, Greece and Sweden.
- Life member of the Institute of Hospitality
- Full member of the Confederation of Tourism, Hospitality and Catering Management.
- Swimming, cycling, running and walking, completed London Marathon, UK Zermatt half marathon (Switzerland) and Camino de Santiago (660 km walk from Madrid Spain to Santiago).
- Participation in charity events, such as Habitat for Humanity and sponsored sporting events/competitions, e.g. Terry Fox Run (Dubai) and Red Cross half marathon (Spain).